More than 14 civilians died on Saturday after their bus hit an explosive device in a northwestern Burkina Faso. A local official said most of the victims were students on the way back from a school break.
Moumoula Arsene Kayaba, regional communications director, said at least four others were also injured in the explosion on the Tougan axis in the Boucle du Mouhoun region. The ages of the students weren’t immediately known.
Burkina Faso’s armed forces said in a statement that, the attack comes after gendarmeries on Friday killed at least a dozen gunmen who had attacked their units in Inata in the Soum province. Arms, ammunition and other materials were seized in the retaliation by Burkina Faso, the statement said.
Western countries have attempted to help governments in the region to combat insurgents, but the violence has continued.
The death toll rose markedly in Burkina Faso from suspected terrorist attacks against civilians, officials and security forces mostly in eastern and north displacing at least half a million people last year because of the insecurity.
The poorly trained army struggles to contain the militancy in the former French colony. President Kabore’s call for volunteers to help counter jihadist threat could lead to further violence against civilians in December.
ECOWAS has assured the President, Roch Marc Christian Kabore in a meeting last December to help the government and people of Burkina Faso.
SUSA Crisis Watch reports and analyses news from TV, radio, web and print media around the world.